About Me

My photo

A proud mother of two very active boys. A military wife she loves getting to meet new people wherever they move. She loves to read books crossing many genres. Her love affair with dragons started when she was young and one day dreams of having her own dragon and black panther. 

Monday, August 19, 2013

I am addicted to Pasta

I love pasta. It is one of my favorite foods. I try to be good and eat it only once a week my kids love it too. One of the ways I have modified is using Barilla Plus Pasta spaghetti noodles. Its full of protein and Omega-3's. If you have ever tried the "healthy" pasta's you know most don't taste good or even taste like yummy spaghetti. I do really recommend this one. Even my husband who hates diet food and complains the second he sees any healthy words on a box eats it.

Today I got an email with a healthy pasta dish. Thought I would share. When I get to make it I will use the Barilla Plus Pasta. I got this from Self magazine which sends me recipes every week. http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2013/09/sun-dried-tomato-broccoli-pasta

Sun-Dried Tomato and Broccoli Pasta

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon grain-style mustard
  • 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
  • 8 oz whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
  • 1/4 cup raw slivered almonds
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
  • PREPARATION

    1. In a bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp oil, vinegar, syrup, mustard and 2 cloves garlic; set aside. Cook pasta as directed on package until al dente; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. In a large skillet over medium heat, toast almonds, stirring, 3 minutes; set aside. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, 3 minutes. Add broccoli and remaining 3 cloves garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add tomatoes and vinegar glaze and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in pasta, salt, red pepper and cooking water as needed to reach desired thickness. Serve topped with Parmesan and almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment