Monday, August 19, 2013

I am addicted to Pasta

I love pasta. It is one of my favorite foods. I try to be good and eat it only once a week my kids love it too. One of the ways I have modified is using Barilla Plus Pasta spaghetti noodles. Its full of protein and Omega-3's. If you have ever tried the "healthy" pasta's you know most don't taste good or even taste like yummy spaghetti. I do really recommend this one. Even my husband who hates diet food and complains the second he sees any healthy words on a box eats it.

Today I got an email with a healthy pasta dish. Thought I would share. When I get to make it I will use the Barilla Plus Pasta. I got this from Self magazine which sends me recipes every week. http://www.self.com/fooddiet/recipes/2013/09/sun-dried-tomato-broccoli-pasta

Sun-Dried Tomato and Broccoli Pasta

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon grain-style mustard
  • 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided
  • 8 oz whole-wheat bow-tie pasta
  • 1/4 cup raw slivered almonds
  • 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
  • PREPARATION

    1. In a bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp oil, vinegar, syrup, mustard and 2 cloves garlic; set aside. Cook pasta as directed on package until al dente; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. In a large skillet over medium heat, toast almonds, stirring, 3 minutes; set aside. In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Sauté onion, 3 minutes. Add broccoli and remaining 3 cloves garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add tomatoes and vinegar glaze and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in pasta, salt, red pepper and cooking water as needed to reach desired thickness. Serve topped with Parmesan and almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment